Tuesday, January 10, 2017

How running helps me sleep

How running helps me sleep BETTER!

One of the reasons I started to run regularly over ten years ago was horrible insomnia.  I would go to bed at 10 or 11 and fall asleep for a a couple of hours and then I would wake up and not be able get back to sleep.  I would regurgitate the day and worry worry worry.  When I finally started running a little most evenings I started our worrying about everything just like I did at night.  The big difference was that by the end of the run all of that had flushed through me and I was at peace. Sometimes this process is so intense that I cannot even remember the run.  I would come home,  shower, and eat a light dinner.  When I go to bed after running I fall asleep quickly and if I wake up during the night I can usually fall asleep again quickly.  For me the benefits include:

Sleep benefits of Running:

  • Creates a regular routine of fatigue and recovery
  • Helps maintain a normal weight that improves sleeping
  • Improved fitness that allows toleration of occasional intense activities without high stress
  • Mind cleansing effect of sustained activity
One additional help that TRAIL RUNNING uniquely provides is the ability to recount a particular run - much light counting sheep - and follow the trail mentally while follow asleep.  I have many of these runs that I use in this way.  Usually I am asleep before I get to the first mile.

See a Playlist of 50 Great Trail Run Videos



No comments: